Scotland: Brave Cup day two serves up more exciting matches in Glasgow

Western Thunder 1–4 (4-2) Eastern Lightning (aspiring boys)

Eastern Lightning enjoyed a 4-1 victory over Western Thunder in the aspiring boys’ tournament, on day two of the Brave Cup. The bonus point went to Thunder however after they won the shootout 4-2.

Lightning began the game on the front foot and earned an early penalty corner opportunity, but the low drag flick was well saved at the right post by the Thunder goalkeeper.

Then it was Thunder’s turn to test the Lightning rear guard from a corner opportunity, and a super goal line block denied Sam Hunt the opener.

Lightning’s Oliver Travers was sent through on goal as the opening quarter reached its end, but he was denied by a solid near post save.

In the second quarter some great build up play by Thunder saw Max Strachan fouled, and a penalty awarded. Johnny Bradley stepped up and buried the effort into the roof of the net. 1-0.

Lightning got back on level terms when Travers equalised for with a great deflection off the right post and in.

Just a minute later, Lightning went 2-1 up through a low and powerful corner rebound finish by Murdo Macdonald.

Thunder tried to strike back quickly but a fantastic double save by Hamish Kinloch kept them at bay.

As half time approached a penalty corner into the bottom right corner by Callum Young made it 3-1 to Lightning.

Lightning continued to threaten early in the second half and only a loose touched denied Travers a clean shot at goal with just the keeper to beat, after a lovely pass through the defence.

Then on a Thunder counter, Andrew McGrane was denied by a last gasp challenge to block his shot.

The final quarter was played with great intensity as Thunder looked to fight back into the contest, and Lightning searched for a fourth to put the game to bed.

It would be Lightning who struck when they went 4-1 up through a shot from a tight angle by Murdo Macdonald.

Lightning took the three points but Thunder won the shootout 4-2 to take the bonus point.


Western Thunder 1–1 (3-4) Eastern Lightning (aspiring girls)

The points were shared in the aspring girls Brave Cup as Western Thunder and Easter Lightning battled out a 1-1 draw at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre. Lightning took the bonus point with a 4-3 win in sudden death in the shootout.

After a tight opening Thunder began to edge the play and came close when Amber Wade had a shot saved at near post.

Then Mhairi Low was next to fire goal ward, but her low powerful effort went wide of the right post.

The second quarter was as tight as the first with both sides battling for every ball. An excellent counter attack gave Lightning a great chance to take the lead, but Gabriella Fontenla was quickly closed down by the keeper, who blocked well.

As the half came to a close Lightning opened up Thunder down the right, but the resulting pass across goal evaded all incoming attackers.

Lightning took the lead early in the second half through a clinical far post finish by Darcy Littlefield 1-0.

The goal prompted Thunder into action and they pressed Lightning back, but found the defence in good form, with no clean openings.

Thunder thought they had their equaliser early in the final quarter after an excellent direct run by Ava Graham allowed Wade to shoot on sight, but a solid save denied the goal.

Moments later and a tremendous double save kept Lightning’s lead intact, when Ava Wadsworth and Amy Ashton were denied at a lovely penalty corner routine, and rebound.

A penalty stroke was awarded to Lightning, giving them a fantastic chance to further their advantage, but Jenna Park’s effort zipped just wide of the right post.

Thunder kept charging forward and they were soon rewarded with an equaliser. A great run down the right by Mhairi Low was finished off on the rebound by Wade to make it 1-1.

The contest ended in a draw, despite the best efforts of both teams to find a winner, and the points were shared.

The tense shootout went to sudden death but it was Lightning who took the bonus point with a 4-3 victory.


Western Thunder 2–7 (3-1) Eastern Lightning (emerging boys)

A superb 7-2 victory gave Eastern Lightning the three points against Western Thunder in the emerging boys’ competition at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre. The shootout went the way of Thunder however, and their 3-1 victory earned them the bonus point.

Eastern Lightning made a fast start and applied sustained pressure on the Thunder defence.

Lightning’s pressure was telling, and they took the lead after a swift attack down the right was finished off by Oliver Bennett, from close range, into the bottom left corner. 1-0.

Jamie Leonard nearly made it 2-0 when he dove in as the ball was blasted across goal, but he was unable to make the vital connection, and the ball fizzed past.

Lightning’s lead was soon doubled when Finlay Duncan scored a glorious solo goal for Lightning; he ran past three defenders, and picked out the top left corner for 2-0.

Thunder roared right back as Murray Bett smashed the ball into the bottom right corner and pulled the score back to 2-1.

Lightning struck at the start of the second quarter through a close range finish by Matthew Leiper. 3-1.

Quickly, Lightning then made it 4-1 through a Zac Turtle strike into the bottom left corner, for a successful second quarter.

Just as they did in the first, Lightning started the second half fast, and struck an early goal to go into a 5-1 lead.

Thunder pulled one back when Tom Hunt smashed home a low penalty corner to make it 5-2.

The goal gave Thunder a boost and they peppered the Lightning circle, but Lightning survived the quarter without conceding any further goals.

In the final quarter Thunder fashioned another opportunity from a penalty corner, this time Hunt’s effort scooped past the right post.

Any idea Thunder may have had of a fightback were put to bed when Lightning went 6-2 ahead through a penalty corner strike by Matthew Leiper.

Shortly later, an attack down the left saw the cutback deflected by a Thunder defender into the net to give Lightning a 7-2 lead.

Despite the 7-2 victory it was Thunder who stepped up in the shootout, and earned the bonus point in a 3-1 shootout win.


Western Thunder 3–2 (1-2) Eastern Lightning (emerging girls)

An entertaining emerging girls contest between Western Thunder and Eastern Lightning saw Thunder emerge victorious with a 3-2 win. A very close shootout went the way of Lightning in a 2-1 win for the bonus point.

Thunder made a good start to the contest and Beth Cuthbert almost opened the scoring with a powerful low effort, but it was well saved, and cleared to deny the early goal.

Thunder soon took the lead through a Katie Kelloch penalty corner strike, blasted into the bottom corner for 1-0.

Then it was Lightning’s turn to threaten when a sensational defence splitting pass found Emily Clark running through on goal, but the ball drifted out of play while she attempted to round the keeper.

You can’t have thunder and lightning without rain, and so the heavens opened in the second quarter.

The weather didn’t stop the action, and Lightning almost equalised through a fierce Izzy Hogarth shot, but a tremendous save by Ashley Herbert, at the top left corner, kept the ball out.

Into the second half and Thunder quickly went 2-0 ahead through a cool finish by Paige Scherius, quickly followed by a low strike by Jess O’Toole to make it 3-0.

Right at the end of the quarter Keara Milligan fired the ball into the bottom left corner, from a tight angle, to pull the score back to 3-1.

Early in the final quarter Thunder almost bagged a fourth when Edie Simmers-Clark hammered a shot off the leg guards of the keeper.

Then Lightning’s Izzy Molyneux cracked an effort goal ward on the reverse, but the goalkeeper stood up to it well, and blocked.

A second goal for Lightning soon arrived and it was Izzy Hogarth who struck when she deflected a penalty corner into the roof of the net for 3-2.

Despite Lightning’s late rally, it was Thunder who was victorious, and took the three points in Glasgow.

The shootout bonus point went to Lightning after they won a tense shootout 2-1 to finish off the day’s action.


by Scotland Hockey

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

SanFair Newsletter

The latest on what’s moving world – delivered straight to your inbox
Verified by MonsterInsights