Oxted inflict first defeat for Surbiton

Surbiton have failed to score for the first time in six years as Oxted shut out the league leaders, Whilst Holcombe end Hampstead & Westminster three year dominance at Holcombe Park.

Surbiton maintained their two point lead at the top of the MHL Premier Division, but lost their first match of the season, 1-0 at Oxted. Tim Guise-Brown scored the only goal in the 49th minute as Surbiton failed to score for the first time in a regular season game for six years and lost away from home for the first time since March 2018 when they lost 5-4 at Hampstead & Westminster.

Jonty Griffiths – Surbiton – Oxted v Surbiton 24102020 – Andy Crayford – Crayfordmedia

Hampstead & Westminster also lost their first match of the season, 3-2 at Holcombe. The London side heavily weakened, by the upcoming Proleague matches, travelled to Kent missing no fewer than seven players on international duty, whilst their host were missing first choice goalkeeper Ollie Payne. Holcombe led 2-0 after Nick Bandurak, continuing to puzzle hockey fans as why he has still not had an international call up, scored in the 12th and 46th minutes, but although Joe Sharp pulled a goal back for Hampstead in the 50th minute, Tom O’Keeffe restored Holcombe’s two goal advantage within a minute. Sam French scored with twelve minutes remaining but Hampstead couldn’t find an equaliser.

Wimbledon joined Hampstead and Old Georgians on ten points with a 6-4 home victory over the University of Durham. The half time score was 2-2 after Eddie Way opened the scoring for Wimbledon, only for Ross Vides to put Durham 2-1 up with goals in the 7th and 14th minutes, Jack Turner levelling for Wimbledon four minutes before the break.  Wimbledon pulled away in the second half to lead 6-2, Ben Tibble putting Wimbledon 3-2 ahead from the penalty spot in the 39th minutes followed by goals from Ben Francis in the 44th and 64th minutes, either side of Way’s second goal of the game in the 49th. Matt Dobison initiated a brief Durham revival in the 67th minute before Vides completed his hat-trick in the final minute.

Old Georgians’ match at Brooklands Manchester University was postponed. 

Beeston seemed set to make it a four way tie on ten points when they led 3-0 at East Grinstead after just 22 minutes. Chris Proctor struck twice in the sixth and eighth minutes with Henry Croft scoring the third. However Joe Naughalty reduced the deficit just before half time and added a second goal in the 61st minute. Louis Gittens was the East Grinstead hero who salvaged a point in the last minute for a 3-3 draw.

The University of Exeter had a bye week.

The Premier Division takes a break until 7 November due to the Pro League matches being played this week.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

SanFair Newsletter

The latest on what’s moving world – delivered straight to your inbox
Verified by MonsterInsights