OG’s win 7-0 as Sam Lloyd taken to Hospital for Precautionary Checks

Men’s Hockey League Premier Division Review – 10 October 2021

There is still a four way tie at the top of the Men’s Hockey League Premier Division after the latest round of matches.

OG's win 7-0 as Sam Lloyd taken to Hospital for Precautionary Checks

Old Georgians extended their goal difference advantage over second placed Surbiton to eight goals after they beat East Grinstead 7-0 in a fractious affair, after a serious injury to EG goalkeeper Sam Lloyd requiring hospital treatment. After a delay in proceeding the match restarted with Striker Luke Emmett kitting up taking an unfamiliar place in goal for East Grinstead. Sam Ward scored four goals in the 6th, 20th, 22nd and 41st minutes, the first coming from a penalty corner, with Tom Carson scoring in the 19th minute. James Carson scored in the 49th minute and Liam Sanford converted a penalty corner a minute later.

image 4
Sam Lloyd in action for East Grinstead VS Oxted

With fifteen minutes to play at the University of Durham, Surbiton were headed for their first goalless draw since November 2008, but the hosts experienced amazing dëja-vu as for the second week running, not only did they concede three goals in the final quarter, but the three goals were scored at the same times.

Rob Farrington broke the deadlock for Surbiton in the 56th minute with Ben Park and Luke Taylor converting penalty corners in the 68th and 70th minutes. Peter Friend scored for Oxted in the 56th and 68th minutes and Nick Giles scored in the 70th minute last week at Maiden Castle.

Wimbledon cruised to a 6-0 win at Oxted. Callum Mackenzie opened the scoring in the seventh minute before Duncan Scott completed a hat-trick with one goal in the 42nd minute and two in the 61st. Eddie Way’s 56th minute penalty corner and Evan Kimber’s strike with two minutes remaining completed the rout.


Hampstead & Westminster’s unbeaten record was in jeopardy with ten minutes to play as the University of Exeter led 3-1. Matt Ramshaw gave the hosts a 1-0 half time lead after scoring in the 17th minute, only for Matt Simmond to level from the penalty spot in the 41st minute, Seb Ansley to put Exeter 2-1 ahead a minute later and Luke Brown to double the lead in the 44th minute. The Londoners’ comeback began with Matt Guise-Brown converting penalty corners in the 61st and 62nd minutes to set up Rupert Shipperley as their hero with a last minute winner.

Brooklands Manchester University drew 3-3 for the second week running, having come from 3-0 down to salvage a point at East Grinstead the week before. Peter Flanagan put Brooklands 1-0 up with an 18th minute penalty corner, Beeston equalising a minute before half time through Gareth Griffiths. Craig Getty restored Brooklands’ lead in the 46th minute only for Kai Aichinger to restore parity with fifteen minutes left. Andrew Jackson seemed to have given Brooklands all three points in the 65th minute, but Aichinger struck again three minutes from the end to earn Beeston’s first point of the season.

image 1

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

SanFair Newsletter

The latest on what’s moving world – delivered straight to your inbox