Buckingham take women’s crown as Holcombe narrowly lose out to Surbiton.

Buckingham defeated Bowdon Hightown 4-3 in the women’s Jaffa Super 6s final, taking the title for the first time in their history and avenging their 2019 final defeat.

There was no holding back when the opening whistle blew, Lottie Porter firing Buckingham into an early lead with a smart finish before Sally Walton struck back shortly after to level things up.

Buckingham would restore their lead at the end of the first quarter as Rebecca van Arrowsmith tucked the ball away. The momentum continued after the break as Porter grabbed her second of the game immediately after the restart.

It wouldn’t last long as Hannah MacDonald smartly rolled the ball through the goalkeeper’s legs to claw one back before Charlene Mason got one of her own less than a minute later to level things up at 3-3.Both teams cancelled each other out through a balanced third quarter before Buckingham took the advantage in the early stages of the final quarter, Katrina Nicholson rounding the ‘keeper before finding Abbie Brant who tucked the ball into an empty net for a 4-3 lead.

Though Bowdon pressed for an equaliser in the remaining minutes, resolute defending prevailed and ensured Buckingham would take the title for the first time and spark jubilant celebrations in the Copper Box Arena.

Semi finals

In what was a thrilling match, Buckingham secured their place in the final with a 5-4 victory over last year’s champions East Grinstead. Katrina Nicholson, Lottie Porter, Abbie Brant and a Rebecca Arrowsmith brace were enough to see them through in what was an even contest throughout.The second semi-final was another gripping watch as

Bowdon Hightown booked a place in the final with a 6-3 victory over Sutton Coldfield, making it consecutive games with nine goals scored. Sally Walton, Megan Batchelor, Charlene Mason, Lucy Tennant and a Hannah MacDonald double booked their place in the final as they come out on top over the newly promoted side who had put in a spirited performance.

Surbiton men’s champions once again

After suffering defeat in last year’s final, Surbiton claimed their first Jaffa Super 6s title since 2017 with a 3-2 victory over Holcombe in the final.

Goals from Rob Farrington, Arjan Drayton-Chana and Ben Boon were enough to ensure they would lift the trophy and halt East Grinstead’s reign of dominance of the competition.

Surbiton continued their fantastic form into the final with Rob Farrington finding the backboard with less than a minute on the clock.

Holcombe quickly replied with a swift passing move from one end to the other as Nick Bandurak swept the ball in to finish the move and level the scores at 1-1.

Both teams were looking threatening, Holcombe dragging their effort from a penalty corner narrowly wide before Ben Boon’s ball across the face of goal just avoided the stretching Alex Moen.

 Surbiton regained the lead just before the end of the opening quarter as Drayton-Chana’s drag flick thundered against into the goal.  Surbiton’s Ore Ogunlana made a superb save to deny Barry Middleton from close range before quickly counter attacking with the ball falling nicely to Boon to put Surbiton 3-1 to the good.

With the half drawing to an end, Holcombe got one back, Robert Field finding the back of the net from the top of the D with a superb strike to close the scores at the break.

Holcombe restarted quickly, Middleton flashing the ball across the face of goal with Bandurak coming within inches of finding a touch to knock it in.

With both sides struggling to make a breakthrough in the third quarter, the final ten minutes proved decisive. Farrington made a critical goal line block to deny Holcombe from levelling the scores from a penalty corner as Holcombe’s chances stacked up.

Though Holcombe continued on the offensive, there was to be no stopping Surbiton whose resilient performance saw them claim their first Jaffa Super 6s title since 2017. 

Semi finals

Reaching the final with an emphatic 6-2 victory over 
WimbledonSurbiton were thankful to braces from Jonny Gall, Arjan Drayton-Chana and William Marshall as they secured a big victory.
Holcombe booked their place in the final with a narrow 4-3 victory over last year’s champions East Grinstead in what was a highly entertaining watch for the Copper Box Arena crowd as Anton Parente, Robert Field and Nick Bandurak’s two goals gave them the victory.

Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest

Leave a comment

SanFair Newsletter

The latest on what’s moving world – delivered straight to your inbox
Verified by MonsterInsights